ASA is the internationally recognised trade association for the independent ground and air cargo handling industry. We represent the men and women that are responsible for ensuring the safety and comfort of billions of travellers worldwide. We collaborate with affiliate associations to advance the sector’s interests and influence decision-makers on issues that are relevant to our industry.
Born in 1974 as the Independent Aviation Handlers Association (IAHA), focusing on European airport and ground handling related issues, ASA has since grown to become the global representative of the independent ground and air cargo handling industry. Here at ASA we are working constantly to strengthen the reputation of the industry and advance the interests of our members and our sector in an increasingly complex aviation landscape.
The ground handling workforce currently accounts for 1.6 million employees worldwide and this figure is expected to increase by at least 20% by 2022. The numbers point to a highly successful, fast-growing sector, and yet the independent ground handling industry faces major challenges – from staff recruitment and retention to the emergence of new technologies. ASA unites members to provide a platform where our independent companies can drive change, influence the industry and promote safety and quality at our airports.
What We Do
ASA is the globally recognised trade association for the independent ground and air cargo handling industry.
We work together with the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the Airports Council International (ACI), the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), governments, regulators and other organisations across the aviation sector to promote the interests of our members.
We collaborate with all of our business partners on matters of safety and security, whilst adhering strictly to our anti-trust policy.
- To be recognised and consulted as the representative and the voice of air cargo & ground handling companies worldwide, on a par with IATA, ICAO and ACI.
- To improve operational and safety standards through the development of ASA programmes and continued collaboration with industry stakeholders.
- To represent the collective interests of the members through the development of positioning papers, presentations and data analytics, and ensure the appropriate representation in the face of industry bodies.
- To offer a professional networking platform, where all members can debate and share within the laws of competition. This will be done through the ASA website, email, LinkedIn, Twitter and face-to-face networking opportunities.
- To develop new services and products, provide professional endorsements of suppliers without obligation, benchmark global good practice and provide thought leadership.
- To engage with suppliers and partners, and embrace technology in designing future facilities and equipment.
- To reduce emissions and promote long term sustainability through the use of innovative and renewable energy-powered equipment, as well as joining existing well-recognised initiative such as the ones put in place by ACI aiming at achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
Our Vision is to promote a safe, secure, sustainable future for the independent ground handling & air cargo industry.
We advance the collective interests of our members and work together with affiliate associations and external partners to address common challenges.
We will always act professionally and with integrity, working in the best interest of our members and of the sector. We will always be our members’ trusted partner, acting on behalf of the collective, not the individual. We will always consider the needs of the global membership, treating each and every one of our members with respect. We will not rest in pursuit of our vision and will celebrate our success.